104,10F-2 .No.32.Jinjou St., Taipei, Taiwan
Unite Injured Workers; Fight for Worker's Right¡I
People above materials¡FWorkers above Capital
Everyday in Taiwan, five workers would die from industrial accidents; and nearly twenty more would become permanently injured. Underneath Taiwan's glorious forty-year long "economical miracle", hides this appalling situation which is rarely confronted.
This association was founded in 1992,for the purpose of organizing all the occupational accident victims and their families to help themselves and also each other. Utilizing everyone's own experience to form a net of information ,through organized efforts and actions, injured workers can urge both the government and employers to take measures to avert industrial accidents and occupational diseases.
This is a "home" for all the injured workers and their families. While dealing with the depression and loneliness of rehabilitation and readjustment, the injured worker can find understanding and support from each other; and learn how to fight for his or her strength of a combined force, the injured workers speak out to reform the society, and demand a safer working environment¡I
¡»We not only handle more than 100 cases and serve more than 2,000 people but also provide legal consultation, psychology consultation and job research assistance every year.
¡»We have diverse training & assistance programs for victims of occupational accident & diseases and their family members in an effort to train as well as assist every member to become a first line volunteer, training facilitator and activity promoter.
¡» "Protection Act for Injured Workers" which took over 7 years of the effort of TAVOI was put into practices on April 28, 2002. The new law also made 428 a national workers' memorial day, and the establishment of a national monument for the injured and dead workers a national commitment.
-Free legal counsel : We not only handle more than 100 cases and serve more
than 2,000 people but also provide legal consultation, psychology consultation
and job research assistance every year.
-Visit injured workers and organize self-help support groups for them :We have diverse training & assistance programs for victims of occupational accident & diseases and their family members in an effort to train as well as assist every member to become a first line volunteer, training facilitator and activity promoter.
-Grassroot law reforms; challenge the labor system :"Protection Act for Injured Workers" was passed in 2001 .
-Publish education pamphelets; document archive
-Organize protest activities and international information exchange
-Occupational health and safety education in unions, hospitals, and school
- To organize the protest of Yun Hsin Explosion case at Lu Chu Hsiang, Taoyuan Hsien for victims families (1996 - 1997)
- To organize the protest of MRT victims to strive for compensation and building up memorial stones (1997 - 2000)
- To establish the "Hot Line of Part-Time Work for student" in an attempt to consistently to provide solutions for student in every summer vacation. (1997--)
- To handle occupational accident cases for victims' families and part-timers in Cambodia (1999--)
- To assist with unprotected foreign labor in occupational accidents & Diseases (1999--)
- To set up the "Special Line for Occupational Victims" together with victim families and Nacacci, to bring into existence of "Chorus for Occupational Victims", to produce, and to sing the songs for commemoration (1999--)
- To help14 missing sailors of "Hua Lien No. 1" in order to obtain reasonable compensation (2000--)
- To help descendants of Solitary Army in Northern Thailand in order to settle work permit, labor right of occupational hazard and identity card in Taiwan (2000--)
- To assist occupational accident victims in diverse programs for training courses, drawing class and sharing experience (2001--)
- To organize the protest and collective litigations for RCA cancer victims in Taoyuan (2001--)
- we established volunteer attorneys group in order to provide legal consultations in the first and third afternoon on Friday regularly. Up to now, we have received more than 100 litigation cases, and about 40 cases have been in legal process for years.
- Secretarial Office handles more than 600 phone calls, pay 80 face-to-face visits and mediate disputes between employers and employees on the yearly basis.
Labor Security Education
- Occupational health and safety education in unions, hospitals, and schools.
- To accomplish more than 100 seminars of "Student Security for Work" at high schools, colleges and universities.
- To initiate more than 80 educational seminars regarding labor security for industrial unions, occupational unions, united unions and handicapped groups
- To pay visits to occupational patients in hospitals on the irregular basis and to sponsor seminars for patients, family members, social workers and paramedics every year
Published and Case Study
-Student Security Work Book (1994 first edition, 1996 second edition, 1998 combination edition)
- How do you know about National Health Insurance?
- Labor 119 - ER manual
- Occupational accident right (1996, 1999 new third edition)
- Occupational inguries - narrations of occupational victims
(In 1997, the edition was published by Labor Educational Center and Taiwan Labor Activity Magazine.)
- "Occupational Accidents & Diseases Protection Law" teaching manual (in 1997, associated with Labor Council)
- "Taipei Occupational Victims Ceremony" memorial manual (1999)
- Self- Protection Tips for Work - an encyclopedia to the Z generation (1999)
- To accomplish study reports of "Assistant Programs of Reemployment for Occupational Victims" (2000)
- "Ease Pains, Secure Work" Millennium Taipei occupational accident memorial manual (2000)
- Together with Professor Owng of Fu-Jen Catholic University, to finish "Investigation Report for the Dead of Occupational Disaster in Taipei City" (2000)
- Occupation accident memorial manual (2001)
- To publish Newsletter (quarterly)
- To design poster for occupation accident prevention (on the yearly basis)
- To establish occupational accident web side (2000)
- Collection of paintings by injuried workers(2002)